Club Outings – Seabirds at the Saltees Islands
The Great Saltee Island is a haven for an impressive array of seabirds, from Gannets and Gulls to Puffins and Razorbills to Guillemots and more.
We will meet at Kilmore Quay at 10:30. We have booked 6 places on the boat sailing at 11 am; returning 4 pm.
SAFETY – This is one of those outings where the location has its own particular hazards. Use common sense, take responsibility for your own safety.
To make sure you know what’s involved here are some notes for your consideration:
1. You have to transfer from a boat to an inflatable
2. There is no jetty so when you climb out of the inflatable you have to clamber over rocks (often wet and with seaweed)
3. You may get soaked on the sea journey if you sit outside
4. This is almost an uninhabited island (except for the prince).
5. There are no paths and no facilities of any kind on the island.
6. Very little shelter if the weather is bad
7. Lots of walking, climbing, clambering involved
8. Steep cliffs abound on the south of the island
9. The Gannet colony is spectacular but access is difficult
10. Take sun cream
11. Avoid gulls/fulmars nests – the birds could attack you!
12. Make sure you are fit enough
We haven’t lost anybody so far and the notes are for information only. If you understand this and accept the risks, you will be blown away with the place. It is pure magic.
You will need a lunch and drink as well as a zoom lens; a monopod helps as well.
If you intend going please let us know as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAFETY ON OFFSHOOT OUTINGS AND EVENTS
It’s easy to become distracted when taking photographs. Use common sense, take responsibility for your own safety and then go shoot and have fun.
- Club Outing – Grand Canal 08/10/2020
- Club Outing – Dun Laoghaire Sunset 07/10/2020
- Club Outing – War Memorial Gardens 09/09/2020
- Club Outing – Glasnevin National Botanic Gardens 07/09/2020
- Shoot With Me – Spring 2020 28/08/2020
- Club Outing – Fawns & Farmleigh 17/08/2020
- Club Outing – Portrane Cliff Walk 07/08/2020
- Club Outing – Altamont Gardens 28/07/2020
- Club Outing – Emo Court and Rock of Dunamase 22/07/2020
- Club Competition – Within 5km of my Kitchen Table 15/07/2020