- Timezone: America/New_York
- Date: 09 Jun 2018
- Time: 05:30 - 13:00
Warning: Illegal string offset 'id' in /home/offshoot/public_html/wp-content/plugins/modern-events-calendar/app/skins/list.php on line 88
- Club Outing – Toadstools and Autumn
- 27 Oct 2018
- 2:00 pm - 6:45 pm
Club Outings – Seabirds at the Saltees Islands
The Great Saltee Island is a haven for an impressive array of seabirds, from Gannets and Gulls to Puffins and Razorbills to Guillemots and more.
We will meet at Kilmore Quay at 10:30. We have booked 6 places on the boat sailing at 11 am; returning 4 pm.
SAFETY – This is one of those outings where the location has its own particular hazards. Use common sense, take responsibility for your own safety.
To make sure you know what’s involved here are some notes for your consideration:
1. You have to transfer from a boat to an inflatable
2. There is no jetty so when you climb out of the inflatable you have to clamber over rocks (often wet and with seaweed)
3. You may get soaked on the sea journey if you sit outside
4. This is almost an uninhabited island (except for the prince).
5. There are no paths and no facilities of any kind on the island.
6. Very little shelter if the weather is bad
7. Lots of walking, climbing, clambering involved
8. Steep cliffs abound on the south of the island
9. The Gannet colony is spectacular but access is difficult
10. Take sun cream
11. Avoid gulls/fulmars nests – the birds could attack you!
12. Make sure you are fit enough
We haven’t lost anybody so far and the notes are for information only. If you understand this and accept the risks, you will be blown away with the place. It is pure magic.
You will need a lunch and drink as well as a zoom lens; a monopod helps as well.
If you intend going please let us know as soon as possible at email@example.com.
SAFETY ON OFFSHOOT OUTINGS AND EVENTS
It’s easy to become distracted when taking photographs. Use common sense, take responsibility for your own safety and then go shoot and have fun.